Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rain and the idiot!

Okay so Kelli's back. First thing she did was make us all agree to the weather being 20 degrees cooler within seven days. Hey I'm no fan of hot weather but what can I do? So we all agreed. After all it been over 90 for a month and over 100 for at least half that. (no I'm not prone to exaggeration!)

This morning as I get up in the dark to go out running. I can see lightning off in the distance. By the time I get my shoes on the rain comes. Just a spinkle but as I walk out the door I hear a wall of water coming. I text my partner Don, "It just started raining." As I come back to the door the rain and wind hit. I text Don again,"It just started raining, heavily!" But Don's wife sends a reply, "He left a couple of minutes ago." Well I know Don's an intelligent guy so I figure he would turn back, but nagging me is the unwritten runners rule"If you start before the rain hits you keep running." Surely Don won't run in this. By now it is raining so hard I can't get out the door. Bev and I start closing every window in the house. Then the dogs start barking at the gate. What if it's Don? I grab my umbrella open the door get hit in the face by a torrent of rain from the roof. I step into a river that used to be the front path, wade through the lake that has replaced the front yard and go to the gate. The wind turns my umbrella inside out. Now I'm trying to unlock the gate holding the umbrella with my teeth and I drop the keys. Finally get the lock undone. Swim back to the house. I text Danielle asking if Don has come back. The response is from Don,"If? Ha! I'm not that manly!" But apparently I'm that much of an idiot. Good news is with my morning shower already taken and the run off for the day I can go back to bed. And Kelli is happy because the promise for cooler weather was kept. And Bev is ecstatic that she gets to sleep in.

I feel very content as if I made everyone happy all by myself. Thank you, Lord! You made the rain, You made Don smart enough to turn back, Kelli cool enough to sleep and my wife happy enough to sleep in that she didn't even get angry when I got back into bed all cold and wet! And you let me be just a big enough idiot to be happy for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment