Monday, February 22, 2010

The Lord amazes me

Today I had a unique experience that just made my head spin.

We have a baptism scheduled for March 13th. Two of the men who want to be baptised are Hallelujah and Patel. They came for some instuction this afternoon on the meaning and purpose of baptism. Sounds well and good but they are both from India and I can't understand their accents and they don't get mine either. So I had to have my friend Hemchend come and translate. One problem, all three men speak different Indian languages. So I speak in English Hem speaks his language to Patel while Hallelujah fills in what Hem doesn't get right. Patel has been coming to church about 3 months and gave his life to Jesus three weeks ago while Pastor Mohan and his wife from CCKampala were here. They also are from India but speak a different language as well. He is excited to be baptised and really happy to belong to Christ.

Hallelujah has been saved 14 years and been attending our church since arriving 5 months ago. He is full of enthusiasm and we talk alot but we get maybe two out of twenty of each other's words. He is excited to be baptised since baptism is outlawed in his part of India.

Hem has been saved for 7-8 years but has struggled with some bad teaching in the past and has become a big part of our church family. He loves everyone. He loves the teaching at Calvary and can't get enough.

Anyway it just amazed me how God was using all four of us to minister to and instuct each other. It was almost like a dream. I was greatly awed by how Jesus builds His church with so many people of different backgrounds but all of the same family in Christ heading for the same eternal home. Can't wait to get there. Maybe I'll even understand Hem, Halle and Patel. Actually you can count on it!

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of when I would go to your church and the teaching would be in English with a Luganda translator and then you would look around and see 3 or 4 other people doing mini translations in another language for their own little group. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you glad the Spirit translates our mutterings and groanings? What a beautiful picture of brother helping brother in cooperation with the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete