Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Conference

I have to admit that the Pastor's conferences are a real pleasure and a real pain. Although I get to share I look forward to being able to sit and be fed.

Denny shared Monday afternoon on Nehemiah. Are we following the pattern he gave us by having true concern for our community. Are we addressing the problems of poverty, teenage pregnancy, drunkeness to name a few that plague Uganda. Or are we just preaching a message in church but not carrying it into the community?

Steven shared on the life of Paul and following the pattern "even as I follow Christ." Are we looking beyond Paul's example and taking on the attitude and nature of Jesus in ministry. Are we truly concerned with people? Do we have Jesus' compassion?

Craig shared on the life of Samuel. God has prepared us, are we humble enough to serve under others or even under a leader who is less qualified? Do we have a heart to be near God and a heart to hear God like the young Samuel or are we merely lying down like Eli "in his usual place?" Am I serving with passion or just going along the same as always because it is what I've grown accustomed to?

JB shared on David and his denying justice to Uriah and taking his life so he could hide his sin and gain his wife. In the ministry are we helping others to succeed or are we using them to hide our mistakes and make ourselves look good?

Zane shared on the life of Joshua. Are we trusting God to be true to His word and being courageous in our ministry even though we are anything but courageous?

These are some of the challenges laid on us. I'm working on a response as soon as God finishes convicting me. And this is the pleasure part.

The pain comes when dealing with the village pastors. It seems they had a meeting Tuesday night and have decided that they need direct support. Not just provision for business but a salary to help them do the work of the ministry. They are good men who deserve their wages but it is such a danger to my friends. In America I didn't see men get corrupted by money, at least not as easily and quickly as here. Paul was correct when he wrote to Timothy and warned him about men who think godliness is a means to financial gain (1Tim.6:5) and then said in verse 10 that some people eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. I know these men need help but how can I keep them from piercing themselves. How can I encourage them to have contentment when every where they look the world and even the church sends a message to them "to get theirs first." How do we support men without becoming a denomination with all the hierarchy that goes with it? Is it even my place to try to watch over and protect these men or is that the Holy Spirit's work?

I look forward to our conferences but dealing with the issues God raises in my heart almost crushes me every time. Thank you Jesus for letting me lean on you. Continue to show us the path by being a lamp for our feet.

2 comments:

  1. Jesse, Isn't it amazing that Jesus sees all the things you see and much more of course. He knows all the challenges and burdens, that they are more than we can carry. If He crushes you as the grape, he is just bringing out the wine to refresh another. As He says, Matt. 11:29-30 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jesse for these glimpses into your live there in Jinja. We continue to pray for you... and eagerly await your return to the states. Let's try to schedule more time this year... if possible (I know many want a piece of you guys while you are around...)
    Carey Green

    ReplyDelete