Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Don't Look At The First Man

"Don't look at the first man but look at the one behind him." God had me speak these words to a young man in South Africa as he was preparing to plant a church. A group of us were praying for him and God put those words on my lips for him.

I was reminded of this Tuesday as we were looking to interview for a new Laboratory assistant at the clinic in Ogongora. I had tried without success to reach our # 1 candidate from the previous year but his phone was never available. On the 6 hour drive to the clinic I kept trying his number only to get the recording that his phone was not available. One time it did ring but nobody answered so I prayed again for the Lord to put us in contact.

Two and one half hours later when I arrive at the clinic my phone rings and it is the Lab Asst. I explain why I had called him and he agreed to come from Kumi to interview. Pastor Okello Stephen and I rejoice at God's answering our prayer. It was perfect! Or so it seemed at the time.

Three hours later, when our prospective Assistant arrived he immediately informed us that he wanted three times what we could afford to pay him. And He also was just put on the shortlist for a better job in Soroti. He then declined to discuss anymore details and wanted to leave. Since I had agreed to pay his transport I reluctantly reached for my wallet.

As I went to ask the boda, the motorcycle driver, how much he was going to charge us I noticed he was a middle aged man not like the young daredevils who typically drive bodas. He told me the price but then asked if he could have a minute of my time. "Sure, what can I do for you?"

"Well my son is a lab asst. and I overheard that you are looking for one. Would you mind if I went and got him?"

"Yes, by all means!"

Thirty minutes later we were interviewing Ronald and he was promising. Are you born again? Yes. I asked how old he was- 23- good we wanted a young man. I asked if he was married but it wasn't likely at that age. He said he was married. Hey this guy is getting better all the time! But no children? Yes, my first born was born this morning! Wow! He wants a job close to home so much so that he leaves his wife in the hospital to interview with us. Next question, "How much would you want to get paid?" He gives a number and BINGO right on the dot to our budget.

I am so excited I can hardly keep from hugging this guy! A final question pops into my head. "Is there any other medical work you can do?" He is trained to dispense drugs! The other staff person we needed to hire was someone who could dispense drugs.

That is when I remember the words Jesus had put on my heart. "Don't look at the first man but look at the one behind him." The Lord made me realize that he was in control, not me. All my plans fail but His don't. And I could take no credit it was all the Lord's doing.

I am also reminded that the first man Adam failed. But the second Adam, Jesus Christ has never failed! Look past man and see the One that God has sent for us. He is perfect for our lives no matter how many questions you ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment