Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Church History- A Time to Nap

I'm having fun this week teaching church history to the School of Ministry. We are going into our final three weeks so we are doubling up classes but that is easier said than done. Trying to find one or two hours in the afternoon is difficult. We scheduled this afternoon for 3:30 because we had an insurance guy coming to sell us some health insurance at 2:00. Which is good timing allowing me to take a nap for 20 minutes before he arrives. But he called at 1:45 to say he'd be late so we changed class to 2:00. There goes my nap!

Now typically 2:00 is a bad time for me as food shock from lunch makes me tired (no, eating less isn't an option) and then I take my afternoon medicine at 2:00 and it makes me very tired. But since it was the only time available, off I went to round up the students.

This was easy to do as apparently a morning class of three hours of church history makes them extremely tired! They were all sound asleep in their bunks. Except for Joseph who was studying out on the lawn swing. I left the others in their bunks to go inform Joseph of the schedule change. As I walked over I realized that he wasn't studying at all but was sound asleep in his history notes. I gently woke him up ( he really did hit the ground softly) and he soon was in class with the others who had by this time awakened after someone had apparently slammed their dorm room door a few times.

Class begins and we're looking at Martin Luther and and the birth of the reformation and things are going well but then my meds begin to kick in. They don't just make me tired they make me forgetful. As in, what was the point of my story. I have literally forgotten what I was saying in midsentence and have had to ask people what my point was. I've even been told that when I tell a story I should try to have a point. (that is not a good statement if you want a passing mark in Church History) Then the uncontrolable yawning starts and class is over. No point in fighting a losing battle. But we did get an hour and twenty five minutes in. Now I'm going to take a nap.

But as I head back to the house I see an old friend, Blind Grace, waiting for me at the hut and one of our street kids is sitting with him.. Grace always asks for water when he comes so I decide to get it first and then go greet. It was a good idea but for some reason this past week I havn't been able to hold on to the plastic cups we use. It was no better this this time. I get some nice cold water ( it was very hot today) and go to greet Grace. I get all the way to the hut and I realize Grace is sound asleep! Why is it everybody else gets to nap except me? As I approach him the plastic cup slips from my hand I reach for it and almost get it but not quite . Just at that instant Grace wakes up but being blind he doesn't see the deluge of water coming his way. Bosco the street kid is staring at me wide eyed at the thought that I would be so mean to Grace. I never saw Bosco or anyone else run out the gate so fast.

I must admit Grace took it well enough. He had come to see me because he had a toothache and wanted some panadol so I went to get it and some more water which Grace very kindly asked if he could have in a cup this time. I told him sure and then the insurance guy showed up. There goes my nap again. I got Grace taken care of sent him on his way and proceeded to the insurance meeting.

I have just found the greatest time to nap! I used to think it was Saturday afternoon watching professional bowling on tv but an insurance sales pitch on a hot day in Uganda beats the PBA by miles. I woke up fully rested and fully insured! And the rest is history.

2 comments: