Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Finding Your Place

I am jealous. I am jealous of my wife, Bev.

We are flying from Reno to Greenville, S.C. and the look on her face explains it all. As we land in Dallas to change planes it is obvious that she has come home. Home to her is Texas. It doesn't matter where in Texas she just wants to be in Texas. I believe that if she was being robbed at gunpoint she would smile because she is in Texas. What is it about this state that makes it more than a location to those who were born here? As we passed from New Mexico airspace to the cloudy skies of Texas a serene smile slid across her face. She was home.

We will not actually visit now but we will in a few weeks. But it is enough for her just to breathe the air at DFW airport as we pass through.

I am jealous because there is no place like Texas in my life. I have places where I used to live and these places evoke strong memories but for Bev, Texas is more than memories. It is the future and the present all at one time. I think the closest I can come to this feeling is heaven.

The idea of heaven intrigues me and occupies a big space in my mind. I have a future there and my citizenship is there. But to say that I know what it is like or what it will be like is too much for me to fathom.

For the day will come when we will go there and see Jesus. We will worship the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Now we need the Spirit to worship God but when the day comes we will know even as we are fully known. Then the smile on our faces will tell the story. We will have survived our temporal lives and arrived at the Holy city of God. I think that explains Bev's current smile.

She can understand the idea of a perfect place. After all she is from Texas and for her that is as close to perfection as the earth gets.

Now if they could just do something about the Dallas Cowboys.


No comments:

Post a Comment