Monday, March 25, 2013

What Defines Us?

I was talking with a dear brother in Christ this week and our conversation ended up with a question. Where do we find our identity? What makes me, me? Unique to myself but still connected to the rest of mankind.

One person might answer "I find myself in what I feel." The problem with this thought is that emotions and feelings are tricky things that can change like the weather. If I only find myself whenever I "feel" alive then my life would only be a series of emotional highs and lows and at the very bottom I may wish to give it all up. There is no guarantee that I'll ever have another emotional high so I might want to quit while I am ahead. Go out on top! But then life would be something of a high stakes craps game. But like the dice game, either a pair of ones, the lowest, or a pair of sixes, the highest, still put you out of the game. That forces us to live to the most average median number or emotional state. Hardly how we want to be defined, Mr. Average.

Another man might say that what defines me is my work. Western men in general define themselves this way. I'm Bob-accountant. Phil-mechanic. Larry-cook.  If our passion is our work, it starts well but when you cannot do what defines you anymore then why go on living. This is why so many men soon die after their retirement. They are totally lost without the definition of worth that work gives them.

Still others find their definition in relationships. Marriage can bring definition. Bev and I once took a trip to Kenya and since she booked everything the name was under Beverly. So everyone we met called me Mr. Beaverly. That name stuck with me for five years! I don't mind being connected with my wife and I hope she feels the same. But will we only be described as, "He's the guy that has the great wife." "She's the one who has that quiet husband."

Some find their definition in their physical ability, what I can do. I am a runner, a tennis player, a cripple, a Parkinson's patient or whatever else ails us. Too often we end up here. Defining our existence by the strength and abilities of our bodies. When we do this, degenerative diseases or cancer or whatever else we face becomes our label. It is constant struggle for me not to define myself by my disease. I am more than that.

Some insist it is their reputation that defines them. How others see them. Sin or righteousness that will define us. "He is such an evil man." Or "Such a good man." This too has its drawbacks as the good man or evil man will often be labeled according to his latest act. Good or evil. By what standard do we measure it. Who of us is objective enough to apply the standard of good or evil, in a fair and timely manner?

Is it our sin that defines us? Is it our drunkenness, our uncontrolled tongue. Is it our sexual immorality, whether heterosexual or homosexual, that says who we are? We must be more than the things that hold us in bondage.

Of all the ways we can find ourselves the only true way is in Jesus Christ. Our relationship with God through His son Jesus is the only accurate definition we will ever have of ourselves. That is because of God's unchanging nature. The best definition we can have is "child of God". And we define ourselves not with pride 
but true humility.

When we allow our lives to be defined by Jesus we now find our true worth. Ephesians 1:5 says we are  adopted sons of Jesus, or through Jesus adopted as sons of God the Father. Here is where I am really defined. And this should be what is said about all of us. we are holy and blameless; redeemed by His blood; our sins forgiven, having wisdom and understanding, together with God under heaven.

Now what defines me will not change. The immutable God has put His definition on me by means of His true son, Jesus. I am predestined to bring God glory. That is His will for my life and all men's lives. Living  to know our Creator, our Savior, our God. Living to show Him holy, full of grace and love. Patient and abounding in love.

What defines me? Not what I feel, not what I do, not who I married. My true definition is I am me because God loves me. What makes me, me is Jesus Christ in me.  Any other answer misses God's purpose for why we were created. Find yourself today!




2 comments:

  1. Jesse, I love your heart and your pen. Thank you for sharing such powerful truths, and for your faithfulness to walk in them, in integrity. Can't wait to spend some face time with you brother!

    ReplyDelete