Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How not to impress the wife

For some reason that I will never understand, my wife thinks I'm a pretty great guy.

I'll explain. Monday we had plans to go North to take the microscope and centrifuge, that I had repaired, back to the clinic. As we were gathering medical supplies suddenly the car died. 10:00 am Monday morning was not the best time to have this happen. Or the place, Main Street. There were regularly scheduled riots for Main Street slated to start at noon. I managed to get the vehicle to finally come to rest on the street the market sits on. This is typically where regularly scheduled riots go when main street gets too crowded or filled with tear gas. This was not good.

So I hopped out to look under the bonnet and everything looks fine. So I start to mess with wiring since to my diagnostic brain if there ain't oil on the road or a visible part broken or missing it must be in the wiring. As I'm trying to fix the car and dissuade those rioters who have arrived early that I am not purposely trying to block their route, Bev is on the phone to Steven, who is at James the mechanic's with the truck to get it fixed, telling him to come rescue us.

Steven, who has malaria and has had only thirty minutes sleep since Mary had a c-section on Friday producing Pheni Michael Collins, (when asked about the his son's name he said "Pheni you should ask") arrives with a mechanic who listens to my description of the problem tinkers for 5 minutes then says "It's electrical." They leave to get an electrician. So as the traffic is getting heavier I finally find the right wire, start the car and head to the mechanic's. He agrees with the diagnosis wraps the wire and off we head for Soroti.

Now we are far behind schedule and can't get to the clinic by dark so we opt to stay in Soroti at the Desert Island Resort. Wrong name! It is not in a desert, or near water or by any means a resort. The only recreation available is the one channel tv in the cottage we rented. But it was cheap and comfortable. And I stand corrected since the waitress told us that you get two channels NTV on #2 and NTV on #19. Both in hifidelity monochrome!

So we got up early the next morning to get to the clinic early. But the car starts and dies. So I put in all new wiring for the trouble spot and three hours later we reach the clinic. Bev, God bless her, thinks I'n the best mechtrician ever! Then after leaving the scope and fuge at the clinic we travel 20 k's back to the paved road and everything electrical quits! No smoke, engine still runs but no air conditioning, no fan, windows won't roll down and it's hotter than Texas in August. So we cruise the 30 k's to Soroti praying and asking everyone we know to pray. So why risk driving? Because it is better to be in the middle of a riot and close to parts than peacefully sitting in the middle of no where waiting for someone to bring you a part that you don't even know you need.

If this weren't a bad enough way of how not to impress your wife, earlier I had warned Bev how tricky these murram roads were and how easy it is to roll the car. She was doing sixty! On the way back I had almost rolled it twice doing eighty! Somehow she was losing confidence in me. So we got to Soroti and found that the wire I had repaired had come loose. I resecured it and everything worked! Boy, was my wife impressed! Give credit to Bev. She sticks by her man.

Open your eyes, Sweetie, we're home.

1 comment:

  1. personally I believe it's very important to marry a man you are impressed with-rightfully or not. :) And for the record, I think you're pretty awesome too uncle!

    ReplyDelete