Monday, March 14, 2011

Stunned Silence

As we watched live footage of the Japan earthquake and tsunami, I found myself speechless. I usually have lots of bad jokes about tragedy and death. I'm sorry to be that way but it has always been how I coped with things. Say something funny and move on with life. But these days there are just not funny words to say.

Here in Uganda things are stable although we still have threats from al-Shabab to target flights in and out of Entebbe. Makes picking up or taking people to the airport more time consuming but that is all.

The protests (riots) that have been sparked by the national elections here seem so tame compared to elsewhere in Africa. The call for "spontaneous" protests the day before the scheduled riot gives you plenty of time to shop early and clear off the streets. Even during the demonstration if you stay away from Main Street and the tear gas it isn't too bad. Some people have been injured but not as many as was expected.

But then Japan is rocked. And what is my reaction? Stunned silence. We, Christians, have been expecting the wars and rumours of war, earthquakes, famine and every other type of disaster as the beginning of birth pains. I should be ready to speak up, not grow quiet. I need to open my mouth and tell of God's plan of salvation more boldly than I ever have, but I am stunned instead. Has my heart grown cold so that there is no love for those who are perishing.

Matthew 24:4-8 tells us that Jesus wants us to be ready when this time comes, for if we do not speak up with the Gospel now, the next step is persecution and hatred toward believers(v.9-10). Is that hatred aimed at us for speaking against sin and offending people? Yes. But is it also possible that the hatred toward believers will be the result of our hardened hearts toward the world and the dying. Do we sit in stunned silence knowing what is to come, eager to see Jesus but not saying a word to the unbelieving world? Is our love for people, the lost, growing cold. Stand firm (v.13-14) and be saved. Stand firm in the full armor of God. Love to the end so the Gospel of the kingdom will preached as a testimony to the whole world. Then the end will come!

Lord, let my heart, our hearts, love as you love. To a world that sits in stunned slience, let us show those around us how to live eternally in you. Break our silence!

No comments:

Post a Comment