Sunday, March 6, 2011

Philippians 4:13

When I first came to faith in Jesus Christ Bev gave me a little plaque that quoted Philippians 4:13, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." NIV

But I prefer the NKJV, "I can do all things throuh Christ who strengthens me."

At the end of a very difficult week, both physically and emotionally, I know that this verse is true. At times when I had to face the things that are toughest for me to do, Jesus gave me strength. But more importantly He gave us strength.

Saying good bye to one of my dearest friends but having to show others that his moving to his own ministry is all good, Jesus gave us strength. Me to say goodbye, JB to move.

Having to go console a dear friend, the adoptive mother of a child who lived seven years longer than anyone thought was possible because of her unconditional love, He strengthened us. Me to pray for and console Julie through a pain that I can't even imagine and Julie to face a day she had hoped would never come.

Having to help my wife endure two very painful weeks as children she loved left our home for good (either for school or heaven) plus the shifting of two of her biggest confidantes and friends. Jesus strengthened us. Me to be strong for her so she could let down and grieve, Bev to be a strong shoulder for everyone else to cry on.

Finding words of comfort and wisdom for a young woman who has learned how painful it is to give your heart away to a family that you never expected to have and yet knowing in her heart that it is the only way to live. He strengthened us. Me to look at God's love displayed in ny life and Kelli to go right on loving the kids here in Jinja regardless of the hurt and pain it may bring.

Having to encourage a young man to make a decision based on what God's will is for his life and not on any half promises made to me. Jesus is strengthening us. Me to encourage and genuinely forgive and Jonah to truly seek to please God wherever that may lead Him.

When Bev gave me that framed plague in 1992 I had no idea it would be the truth I hold on to everyday for 19 years now. From America to Africa, "We can do all things through Christ who gives us strength."

1 comment:

  1. My husband had to read this to me, because I was crying to much. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. It is a beautiful statement of truth that I sometimes forget to hold on to. You amaze me Dad. I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete