Friday, January 21, 2011

A Graduate, a Mzungu in a Gomesi and me

This was a special week for us. Thursday, Geoffrey, one of the young men we have helped support for many years graduated from Makerere University with a Bachelors of Business Computing. He already has a job and is also running for the local counselor position. He is a great young man. And we are very happy for him.

We left Jinja at 4:15 am to beat the Kampala traffic and I admit we might have arrived a bit too early as we were at campus by 5:45am. Just a tad bit early but at least there were plenty of places to park. It was a fun day despite the program running 2 hours late. I was impressed by the reading of all the 3,696 names of the graduates. East African names can be very tricky to pronounce and we were impressed by some of the Deans and their speed. One Dean of business had to read 936 names. That’s akin to reading the names in 1 Chronicles 1-9 like ten times. Fortunately the Dean for Geoffrey wasn’t that good so he had to take a breath before he said our boy’s name so it was read nice and slow. This gave Bev and I ample time to stand up and cheer. Which was different since literally we were the only bazungu in a crowd of 11,000 people. But then the fun started. People noticed Bev!

People here expect the Bazungu to dress western as I did in my suit and tie. But Bev was decked out in her best Gomesi (the traditional dress of Uganda). She looked fabulous or “very smart” as they say here. To say that Bev was well received is an understatement. Dozens of people stopped her and said how good she looked. Even two of the Deans in the Chancellor’s procession stopped and pointed at her and gave her two thumbs up. Then when we went to lunch people in the surrounding offices stopped work and would come out to see this incredible white woman in a gomesi. Now I know what it must have been like for Joe Dimaggio when he was married to Marilyn Monroe. Except he could hit a curve ball and I can’t (but then neither could Marilyn)(let’s just end the comparison there shall we). Even Geoffrey was proud of his mzungu mom. The film crew for UBC came up and filmed Bev as well. My Sweetie.

This just confirms my local name as Mr. Beverly. (pronounced beaverly) Since Bev usually makes travel arrangements for us, which is considered man’s work here, when a receptionist sees “booked by Beverly” they just assume that is me so I must be and I am, Mr. Beverly. And darn proud of it too! (now, if Bev could just hit a curve ball or even a slider we would really be on to something)

Two of our other kids here, Peace and Kizza, received their primary leaving exam scores and both earned a division one. So proud papa JB threw a small party for them. Barbeque chicken, carrot cake and sodas. Your traditional african foods. So life here is good and I hope yours there is as well.

Thank you Jesus for good kids, an even better wife and Joe Dimaggio being able to handle a curve ball.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not really anonymous...this is Jean Gordon in Albuquerque. First time I've visited your blog. I LOVED this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Bev! And congrats to Geoffrey too! Vera

    ReplyDelete