Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Back in the USA

Furlough. For most missionaries it is a dreaded word. It means being back home where you don't fit anymore. It means speaking all the time about what God has you doing rather than doing what God has you do. It means trying to find time to see everyone you hold dear but never get to see or talk to except for a short window of time every couple of years. It means leaving the family you have built in your new country and trying to reconnect with your true family back home. Then doing the reverse when you go back. It is also a time to reconnect with your best friend, Jesus, who too often gets lost in the shuffle of the mission work.

One of the major frustrations of furlough is not being on the field when major events happen. The bombings in Kampala on Sunday make me want to get on a plane and race back to be sure everyone is safe. But I can't do that. This furlough God is busy reminding me that all things are in His hand not mine. Even me!

Bev is doing well with it all. She has such a quiet, solid faith. She takes it all in and holds tight to the Lord. Nothing seems to shake her.

Me, I'm just trying to hear what God is saying to my heart in regards to the future. I hope I have the time and take the time to listen. As long as a furlough seems to last it is also over in a short time. I hope God lets us make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment