Thursday, June 3, 2010

That sinking feeling

Do you ever get that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when all your confidence is gone and you know you are being hung out to dry? Me neither!

Actually I had it today. I traveled with Anthony the welfare officer from Main Prison and Annet his clerk to Kayunga to visit the home of Yusuf a former condemned prisoner who is about to be released. Yusuf has been in prison for 23 years and we needed to know if his family would welcome him back. As we approached the town the man in white threw up his arm, let me rephrase that, he raised his arm and directed me to stop. In years past this would mean he is hungry and is looking to get money from his prey for lunch. I relish these moments because we are sticklers for keeping the vehicles road worthy. And the traffic police look for any little defect to write you an on the spot fine. (One time an officer even demanded that I use the windscreen washer to prove it had water in it.) The truck was running good so I confidently gave the officer my license. Then he asked for the truck's insurance certificate. I said it is on the windscreen. Then he looked and said, "No, the real one." I said "It is there. That is the one." "This one is expired." "Are you sure?" Yes it died March 30th." I reached for the glove box knowing that I had the paperwork in there. Oops, it was dead too. That sinking feeling started and got worse when he pointed to Anthony and asked "Where is this man's lap belt?" I started to sink faster.

"What shall I do with you." Not wanting to pay a bribe, I was reminded of the garden of Eden when Adam was caught red handed with his tooth marks in the fruit. He said "Lord, the woman you gave me made me eat it." So I said "It's my wife's fault."
Since Bev wasn't there to defend herself I blamed her. "But you are driving this vehicle..." as he continued I decided that the only thing to do was be straghtforward. "How much is the fine?" "40,000 and you must not move till you have insurance." I reached for my wallet dejectedly knowing all I had brought was 41,000 Ugs. Not wanting to waste his day, Gerald (funny how you get on a first name basis here very quickly) told me "William you go get insurance in town and then show it to me on your way home." I quickly agreed with this plan. One small problem. Today is Martyr's Day a national holiday. Everything was closed. Return of the sinking feeling. But God is gracious and we found a small insurance office at the taxi park. The sign said, "Rio Insurance-when all you need is a piece of paper."

After getting the insurance we met Yusuf's family. 5 kids from 25-15 years of age. Only problem is that Yusuf has been in prison for 23 years with no conjugal visits.
That sinking feeling came back. It finally left when visiting his parents. They informed us that these were his brother's kids. We had a good visit and feel assured that Yusef will do well when he is released.

God is good. He let us find everyone we needed to talk to and even got us insurance and lunch all for the incredibly low price of 41,000 Ugs. Jesus is good indeed! And to top it off as I entered the driveway the left front tire went flat. Thank you Lord for seeing me home!

1 comment: