Monday, June 14, 2010

The Stress Factor

What is stress? To me it is that pressure behind the eyeballs when you're not quite sure what's about to take place or even what has just happened. I am lucky as I have a built in stressometer. My left hand! When I'm stressing it flaps around like a free range chicken that's been hit by a truck. Sort of like now. Actually anytime I have to speak or write something it stresses me. At least that's what my hand tells me! But the amazing thing is when I get my words right on paper or in speech it stops shaking completely. So I know when to shut up or what not to say. I still get my foot stuck in my mouth alot but thats more stupidity than stress.

Others exhibit stress in their own way. Some cry, others get beligerent. Some get sarcastic while others get apologetic. Some get hyper and can't sleep but others become lethargic and can't wake up.

So what do we do with stress? My solution is to STRESS. Stop Taking Relatively Everything So Seriously! When I stress its because I don't think I can say the right things at the right time. And you know what, I'm right. I'll never be good enough by myself to say the right things but if I just let Jesus have control of my mind and heart the right words will come from him. And then the arm grows blissfully still.

If I follow the STRESS principle I won't have to control everything or worry about every detail becase Jesus wants me looking at Him work through me. When I don't follow the STRESS principle Jesus has to work in spite of me.

If I follow the STRESS principle I won't have to know everything since Jesus wants me to take every thought captive to Him. And since He knows everything I don't have to. Then I can live by faith being sure of the outcome I hope for.

If I follow the STRESS principle I will get the needed things accomplished for they will be a joy for me to complete. I'll have a smile on my face doing every task because Jesus is letting me help! Ever watch a child help his Dad? He can be serious but still have so much fun. That's what Jesus desires for us. To be serious but to also enjoy the work.

Next time you are stressed take a deep breath and take a close look at yourself. How funny we must look to God when we are so serious and God is saying "Lighten up already!" Sorry that's my paraphrase. God says be "Joyful Always".

Hey the arm stopped flapping!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jesse, Thanks for the STRESS advice, giving Him the stress and letting Him Bless. Praying for you now with the Pastor's conference going on. Hope Sandy and the others are an encouragement to you and Bev.

    ReplyDelete