Thursday, May 27, 2010

Running the race

Well two days to go till the big Race day. We hope to have 500 kids (ages 5-12) here Saturday for The R.A.C.E.-Running According to Christ's Example. It should be fun but it has been work. Last week we, meaning Bev, Kelli, JB, and I started laying out race courses and sign up sheets and planning heats and how to present the good news of Jesus to all these kids. It was fun!

Now this week, we four plus Martin, John, Davis and others have been actually setting everything up. For me the most fun was writing four 2-5 minute dramas that will precede each gospel presentation. How to come to Jesus, How to walk with Jesus without sin, How to work with the Holy Spirit and How to be a member of the body of Christ.

Then there was the futile search for award ribbons. It seemed like such a simple request. "Do you know where I can buy award ribbons to give kids for winning a race?" I was shown hair ribbons. No, I explained, a ribbon to be given to the winner. How many races the man asked. Four races and four age groups and three ribbons per each. I was assured I would have the ribbons the next day. Next morning the man rang and said he had my ribbons. Only $700. The man had brought me 48 rolls of plastic barrior tape to use as finish line tapes. No not quite right. It only took two days to get the Asian business comunity to understand what we wanted. Then with a knowing nod of the head every shop owner I spoke with said "It is not possible. I bring you something better." That means "I sell you something more expensive that you don't want." After refusing their offers Bev, Kelli and I put our heads together (painful if done too quickly) and bought yards of blue, white and red ribbons. Then remembering the ribbons kids used to get at fairs, we designed and made 72 1st, 2nd, 3rd place ribbons. The three of us plus Judy and Rochelle spent 3 hours making them one evening. Bev and I now have a new career opportunity should we ever leave the mission field. "Ribbons are us!"

Saturday's event training went well but it was made easier because only half of the 45 volunteers actually showed up.

Now we just wait for the kids and the chance to share the love of Jesus. And that is what it is all about anyway. The races and the ribbons and dramas all are secondary things but Jesus is the main thing. If we put on a first rate event but the kids don't hear about Jesus or don't know that He loves them, it will be wasted effort. So we wait and pray and pray and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment