Sunday, January 10, 2010

Psalm 18:1-3

Friday morning 5:30 As I get ready for an early run my daily reading is Psalm 18. As I read verses 1-3 I am struck by how true the word of God is and how faithless I am. I claim to know that God is my rock, fortress, refuge, deliverer, shield and my stronghold. But I realize that too often when I am tired, weak or despairing I don't trust in God my refuge, deliverer and my rock. I trust not in God's Spirit in me but trust in what I used to do before I met Jesus. After 17 years of walking with Jesus still at the least trouble or any lack of peace in my heart I go back to who I used to be and what I did for comfort.

I used to be a mechanic and when stressed I fix something. But many of the problems in life I can't fix. So I fix cars, water heaters, fans, electronics or whatever I can to show that I still have control in my life.

I shared the verses from Psalm 18 with my class later in the morning to encourage them to hold fast to Jesus and let him fix the things in their lives and not go back to any other source of comfort, protection or deliverance. They understood what was shared and class went well. So well that we met for five straight hours (Bev was in Kampala so we didn't have to stop for lunch). It was great!

Later that day I shared with a young friend, Andy, about the end times for two hours. I felt as good as I had in quite awhile. God laid on my heart that sharing His word and His plan for His children's future was what He wanted me to do. Not spending my time fixing stuff. I told JB and Steven that I would not be repairing things anymore and it was up to them to get things repaired. It felt good to let the load of self imposed work go. I will trust in my Rock, my Fortress, my Deliverer.

Today I had the privilege of teaching at Calvary Chapel Kololo, the new offshoot of CCKampala.
It was the first time for me to teach there and I was incredibly nervous. As the worship team was singing my hands were shaking uncontrollably. I was afraid to raise them for fear that others would see them shake. Then God in His precious everloving way spoke to me. The worship team started singing Psalm 18! God reminded me so gently that He is my refuge when I fear. When I feel like I can't do it, He can! And my fear left. I was blessed again to be able to share God's word with brothers and sisters who needed and wanted to hear Jesus speak to their hearts the same way He had just spoken to mine.

I hope that I can remember the lesson I learned this week. I call to the Lord who is worthy of praise and I am saved from my enemies. Those outside and those within. Praise God our Rock!

2 comments:

  1. God IS faithful! He IS with us always. Thank you for reminding me of how He sometimes works, of how He shows us He is there with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you writing these blogs just for me, cause it sure seems like it! :) Thanks Jess, I needed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete