Monday, December 5, 2011

A Lesson About Money

I had a meeting today in Kajjansi to settle a court dispute. To make a long story short I was ordered by a minor court to pay a former pastor 3,500,000 shillings and another man's widow 1,500,000 shillings. I couldn't help feeling bitter about the whole corrupt court process but I had been asking God to remove the bitterness.

As the court officials came and then the people who were to receive the money, they were all in a jovial mood. Only I was annoyed. But as the meeting and day wore on I started to feel the Lord reminding me that this is not a life or death matter but it is a matter of the heart. Cheer up, you still have Me. So I let Jesus lighten my mood.

By the time I paid the money a great weight was lifted off my shoulders. Then I noticed the most amazing thing. The farther the money got away from me the closer I drew to Jesus and the bitterness left me.

But at the same time that I was being released the people who were receiving the money were being put into bondage. They stopped laughing and started frowning. They started to grow agitated the closer the money got. By the time they actually received it they did not speak to each other and began to bicker.

As we traveled home Steven, Moses and I were down right happy and joyful. But I am sorry that the others were down right miserable. The desire of my heart was to draw near to God and forget about the monetary loss. "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desire of your heart." It is so true.

Jesus you are always enough for us!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jesse. Thanks!

    I'd also mention that it could be different. At least in your case, you can identify a corrupt, worldly agent who is ripping you off. Easy to identify this agent with the kingdom of this world. This may be easier to deal with than the situation my father-in-law and his wife have faced. Their church split from the Episcopal organization because of clear doctrinal differences. The national organization, which had not paid a penny for the property and belongings of the local church, confiscated by way of the courts millions of dollars worth. The organization won, the church lost. My father-in-law had personally and generously given money in the name of his sister for some sort of endowment. The national organization forbid that any such personal and directed endowments should go with the local church which split away. The national organization even confiscated the hand made items contributed by the church members. This is a very bad situation, when a denomination robs the church.

    ReplyDelete